A home of our very own.

One of the other exciting things that happened when we were at the Royal Melbourne Show was a call about a house. Up til then, J and I had been living at opposite ends of the city. To get to his house, I used to drive the entire length of the Eastern Freeway, across the CBD (imagine how that long takes in peak hour) and then a half hour out the Western Freeway. We had recently started looking for a house together, but figured it would take ages. We had to find a house we were happy to live in, with a dog-appropriate yard, with a landlord who was happy to have us and the fur-kids. Imagine our shock when, after only a couple of weeks looking, we found it!

(Tip: if you're at an Open For Inspection and you see a couple walk straight through the house to inspect the back yard first, you are looking at crazy dog people!)


Not only was this WAAAAAY more space than the dogs had had previously, it also had lots of shade under the deck, and (you can JUST see this on the right) a separate fenced off section that had formerly held a pool. So we thought that reassembling the dog run wouldn't even be necessary. Until we moved in...

Huskies also put the "H" in Houdini and need a fenced yard

Moving days are always chaotic, right? And this was a doozy. Not too bad for me, I was moving only two suburbs across, with only three rooms worth of furniture. My move was pretty much done by 10am. J however, was moving a three bedroom house full, plus the dogs, across the city. Anyway, by the time they got the truck packed and drove across town, the dogs had spent quite a while in the dog float and were in dire need of a toilet break!

J and I took two each and brought them through into the back yard. We knew that there were labradors on one side, and expected a woofy welcome there, but we hadn't known up to that point, that on the other side were a couple of Bichon Frise with a litter of puppies! As soon as the bichon frise started yapping, the huskies went nuts trying to get into their yard. Bolo actually succeeded in partially climbing the fence before J dragged them all back to the dog float.

This meant that, as soon as the removalists were done, we had to start dog-proofing the yard. It took a few weekends and evenings, but eventually we got there.

First, an extra section of fence with a section of dig proof mesh on the ground to stop them accessing the most poorly fenced part of the yard. Then the electric fence.

elec fence.jpg

And then the dog run... the pictures do NOT show the effort of collecting, transporting, and assembling the HEAVY pieces of this. But you can see that we did finish it in the dark, and the rain.

More dig proof mesh for the floor, shade cloth on the roof. We also replaced the blue clam shell with a refilling water bowl and added two kennel panels as wooden beds, because the dogs climbing in and out of the clam shell made the sandy floor a quadmire. (Frankie, why can't you just drink out of it without standing in it, like a normal dog?) They quite like it now. 

pen with shade cloth.jpg

Now we can go to work and know that the dogs are safely contained and not jumping fences to invade the neighbouring dogs, or go explore the nearby freeway. They have plenty of space, shade, water, beds, toilet space and company. 

Now its time to unpack the rest of the house. Um, no, Czar, I think you need hands to help with this.